The colour of the floor will have a significant impact on the appearance of the room. In fact it is probably the first aspect of décor that should be considered. Often people design the room décor around the floor that is already there. We may forget that was can significantly alter the floor to achieve the décor we want.
Some questions to consider:
- Do you prefer the dark of light colour on the floor
- What is the décor style of the particular room?
- What is the décor style of the house in general?
- How much light does the room get
- What colour are the furnishings.
- Cleaning – lighter floors tend to show less dirt
- Scratches tend to be a little more noticeable on stained dark woods, because the unstained wood shows through. Naturally dark wood will show fewer scratches.
- Pets – add a layer or polyurethane to protect from dog scratches
- Sense of space – lighter floors tend to make a room look bigger.
Timber floors can be stained a different colour after re-sanding and polishing. Consider the colour décor you prefer and have your floors redone. Consider a protective coating over the stain.